Tuesday 30 April 2013

Hug your hairstylist today. DO IT!!

It's Hairstylist Appreciation Day, which I had no idea was an actual thing, but since it is, I'm going to devote this post to all the hardworking, kick-ass, creative hair artists I've had the pleasure and honour of working with in my 22 years in the industry.






I think a lot of people don't understand what a complicated job we have. Hairstylists don't just play with hair all day...we're chemists, architects, psychiatrists, artists and teachers all rolled into one. Our job is to not only send our clients out the door looking fabulous, but making them feel happy and confidant about themselves too. We build self esteem. We listen. We counsel. We may have our own personal difficulties, but we leave them at the door, put a smile on our face and understand that the person sitting in our chair deserves all our focus and good energy, and we work our asses off to give them the best salon experience possible.

Yep, let me grab my magic wand and I'll get right on that


I'm lucky enough not only to work as a stylist in a salon, but I also have a second job teaching at a cosmetology school. And I say lucky because at the salon, I work with the most kick-ass team of people in a ridiculously fun atmosphere, and at the school I'm surrounded by students who have such huge enthusiasm for the trade they are learning, that I look forward to going to work everyday and spending time with such an amazing group of creative people.



Ok, it's not all rainbows and fucking unicorns...the days can be long, the job is physically hard on your whole body, some of the clients are pretty demanding and a few are a downright pain in the ass. But the long hours, the aches and pains and the occasional client that pisses you off so much that you fantasize about stabbing them in the ear with your scissors are all made worth it because of those clients that are so thrilled with the job you did, they squeal with pleasure, hug you and almost cry because they're so damn happy with their new 'do. And that is a huge reward, making people feel fantastic about themselves.

So to all my fellow stylists, today is your day...may your scissors ever stay sharp, your clients show up on time and you never realize you're out of the colour you really need 2 minutes before the client walks in the door :)

8 comments:

  1. Happy Stylist Appreciation day! I have trust issues so I only get my hair cut like once a year. I wish we lived closer...I'd let you do my hair. And that is a high compliment, trust me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nice day to celebrate... I love my hairstylist and I've been following her all over the city for almost 6 years!
    A month of Blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss my hairstylist back in the Uk, I'm still trying to find a good one here in irvine California if you have any recommendations for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss my stylist back in France. I have curly hair and have been traumatized by too many stylists cutting it all horribly wrong, so I haven't found a new one here yet because I'm afraid to go to a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I found a hair person I like so much. A good haircut does so much for us grateful clients. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know! I just texted my step-mom. After having seen her work for so many years, I know how incredibly hard that job is. Just standing on your feet all day is tough, and then add in all the other stuff you have to deal with, and I know there's no way I could ever do it! Not to mention the fact that I just don't have the attention to detail that you have to have.

    So cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Hairstylist day. I wish I read this on-time. Now, tomorrow morning I will drive over to my hair dressers and give her a giant hug and she won't know why.

    Great post.

    Rhonda from Laugh Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE my stylist! I'm texting her now...I'm back. She hasn't ever wanted to stab me in the ear with scissors but she might have wanted to get a little stabby with my mother-in-law a time or two - she's not a sweet as I am. I told her that she should always be nice to people with sharp objects and easy access to her jugular. She agreed and sweetened up.

    ReplyDelete