Wednesday 17 April 2013

O is for organ meat

I was anemic as a teenager, and the doctor made the mistake of telling my mother I needed more iron in my diet to offset the anemia. It was then my mother started her well-intentioned-yet-tortuous campaign of trying to force me to eat liver once a week for the sake of my iron levels. The resulting battle  was not pretty...there was yelling, crying, begging, silent treatments (98.6% of all that was by me) and dramatic pronouncements of how I'd rather die than eat a cow's internal filtration and detoxification system. Not only does liver have a gross, mealy texture, a nausating smell when it's cooking and a taste that's just plain disgusting, I'm not eating cow's filter...I don't give a shit if it's full of iron, it's probably also full of whatever toxins the cow didn't get a chance to poop out. I don't think my mother's Project Liver lasted very long, due to the fact that I'm sure she got sick of my hysterics pretty quick. I'm pretty sure she didn't somehow sneak liver into my diet but I would not put it past her because she had a habit of shady food shenanigans, more of which I will be covering in another post next week

Another reason to hate liver? Is if after you finished giving birth, your doctor asks you and your husband if you'd like to see the placenta and you don't shriek "Oh my god, NO" fast enough, and fyi, placenta looks like a giant piece of liver. Fuck, I just threw up a bit in my mouth remembering that. Also fyi, the doctor who delivered my baby was an asshole and I'll never forgive her for never being able to un-see that shit

Jesus, that is so unappetizing and gross, but guess what....



...it doesn't look any better cooked

And don't even get me started on how my dad would insist and putting the turkey giblets in the stuffing and yell at me for using a magnifying glass at Thanksgiving dinner to make sure I picked out every microscopic piece of turkey innards that defiled my otherwise-glorious helping of delicious stuffing

Organ meat earns 5 flaming middle fingers in the Hate-O-Meter, because that shit is just disgusting

15 comments:

  1. I actually like liver, when it is cooked well, but don't eat it any more because it is high in cholesterol. The rest of the innards not so much.
    Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gross. Just gross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy to say I have never eaten liver (to my knowledge.) My mom tried to pull some sneaky shit when we were growing up but I don't think she stooped that low.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never understand how people can eat organs. My husband's family is Jewish, and at most holidays, the only hors d'oeuvres offered are chopped liver and gefilte fish. Barf. They try to get my son to eat it. I tell them I don't want my four-year-old to end up with gout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been curious about trying liver just to see how it tastes. I also want to try cow's tongue. You can judge me all you want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember my nan cooking liver, and kidneys I wouldn't eat it and they never made me..yuk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister loved that stuff but then she has a masochistic side.
    My mum used to make a broth comprised of pig's foot, as well as the snout...guess who became a vegetarian when she got older? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha!! My mom used to make liver for my Dad growing up. We would leave the house while she cooked and he ate it! UCK. I've never had it nor will I ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was the freaky kid that would eat things just to gross out my siblings, somehow I ended up liking most of it - not June peas, those are nasty. They're like smashed up, not ripened right peas that taste like dirt. Yuck. Liver I liked. I'm an odd one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guess I can forget about inviting you over for hog maw hey? That's a stuffed pig's stomach and is a delicacy if you are from PA Dutch country. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barf. Whenever my mom went on Weight Watchers when I was a kid, they usually had a menu once a week that included liver. Which meant that when mom was on a diet, I had liver once I week. I still resent them for that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, my mom went through a faze of forcing us to eat liver, too! Its so nasty and it was pure torture. I can't even stand the thought of it. The only way I could make myself eat even a portion of it was to smother it in ketchup,and I didn't even like ketchup all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Groooosssssssss. My parents ate liver but they never, ever served it to me. The smell was awful. my dad loved chicken livers too but my mom drew the line there. I got mac & cheese or a hamburger on liver night. My mom's a super picky eater so I was never forced to eat something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hate the bloody stuff, you're very amusing.
    #atozchallenge
    expatbrazil

    ReplyDelete
  15. Through your eyes liver is not a winner. Thankfully, my doctor never offered me a placenta view. Yuck, I think that offer alone deserves the flaming fingers.

    Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com

    ReplyDelete