Thursday 28 February 2013

Other People's Kids are fine. It's their parents I can't stand

When I was a teenager, I swore I was never getting married and never having kids, and I meant it...the irony here is out of a group of 4 of us that hung out, I am the only one who got married, had a kid and had to eat those insistent words of my youth.

My main reason for not wanting kids was because I was really not a fan of children in general. I'm an only child, so I never had a brother to convince me to stick my fingers in the spokes of a bike wheel before proceeding to spin the wheel as hard as possible, thereby losing a finger by bike-spoke amputation (like my dad did to his brother when they were kids), or a sister who stole all my clothes, read my diary and then tattled to my parents that I was smoking pot behind the gym when I was supposed to be at volleyball practice. I was fairly content to be an Only...I never longed for sibling and I'm sure my parents were thankful for that because after all the constant screaming and crying and no sleeping of my babyhood (my mother: "you did not sleep through the night for 2 years...TWO YEARS up being up half the night. Those people who said babies sleep all the time? LIE.) you could not have paid my poor mother to have another baby.

As a kid I was not a big fan of Other People's Kids either. I grew up in a great neighbourhood with lots of kids so there was always someone to ride bikes, play barbies or build forts with. Unfortunately there was that one mom aka Crazy Lady (aptly named but the other parents and she was seriously insane, with a capital I) who used to drag her son over to wherever we we gathered and insist we include him RIGHT NOW, even though the kid was creepy as fuck and we were all a little afraid of him. Then she'd proceed to start screaming at her daughter (who was a nice girl despite her horrible family, that we did hang out with) for no apparent reason, and that would usually end with Crazy Lady smacking her and dragging her home by the hair. Literally. Even at a young age, I resented having some creepy kid foisted on me by a nutbar mom which in turn made me leery about Other People's Kids even way back then.

As I got older I discovered I hated babysitting. My neighbourhood was ripe with opportunity and almost every time I did it, I'd regret it. In hindsight, I'm sure the kids weren't that bad, but I was not exactly the nurturing type and spent most of my time changing the clocks in the house to trick the kids into going to bed early so I could watch movies, call my friends and eat ice cream.

Once I got to the age when my friends started having kids, I remember having a conversation with a new mom and a mom of a 2 year old. They spent half an hour discussing bellybuttons and how long it takes for one to fall off while I sat there thinking "Are we seriously having this conversation??? BELLYBUTTONS?? Is this what happens to normal people after they have kids? OMFG, motherhood really is a cult and I don't wanna join, EVER"

Which of course was foreshadowing and I joined that same cult a few years later.I will admit after I had my son I became a lot more tolerant of children in general. No longer did I panic and mutter "Get it off...GET IT OFF" when someone plunked a baby on my lap that smelled of sour milk and Eau De Poop. I also became selectively deaf to the dulcet tones of screaming 3 year olds tearing my living room apart. And that was when I really started to notice that it usually wasn't Other People's Kids who annoyed me...it was  mostly their parents. Annoying kids are far easier to ignore then some uber-mom who gave me shit about not breast-feeding my son until he was 6 or letting him sleep in his own room so I could get some rest I was desperate for. And did I know I should be making my own baby food out of organic vegetables grown in my own garden and lovingly pureed by hand, because giving him the jarred stuff means I'm lazy and don't love him? And did I want a recipe for suger-and-gluten-free birthday cake because the minute I allow one grain of sugar to pass his lips I've put him on the road to diabetes and childhood obesity?  And was I really going back to work one day a week when he's 4 months old, because he'll need therapy when he's older, due to abandonment issues, you know.

Yeah. Other People's Kids don't piss me off nearly as much as some of their parents.

Please click the link to visit the other Theme Thursday posts!



16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear advice from other parents, but unsolicited advice that's in the form of some passive-aggressive accusation, along with a holier-than-thou attitude? No thanks

      Delete
  2. Love this, I did some of the things you said (breastfeeding, made baby food) but I don't care what other ppl do (and I went back to work when he was 6 wks old and moved him into his own room ASAP). parents suck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that as a parent, you should do whatever works for you and your kids...and not jump all over other parents who do things differently. I'm sure some advice is well-meaning, but some of it is more like an accusation of "you're doing it wrong and screwing up your kid"...I hate that!

      Delete
  3. Motherhood as a cult, ahaha. It seems like a few obsessive, controlling moms give the whole enterprise a bad name. I need to get past that idea myself in order to find my inspiration to do the mom thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a cult, especially when your kids are really young and you find yourself discussing the quantity and quality of poop in each diaper like my ex-husband and I did...he'd come home from work and our son's poop rated at least 15 minutes of discussion lol.

      I think you get past it by just saying "fuck it, I'm gonna go with my gut and do what I feel is best for my child" :)

      Delete
  4. Like I've said before, some mothers are fashioned by Satan...but then I guess some people have said the same thing about me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm sure they've said the same thing about me lol

      Delete
  5. Yep. Bellybuttons and Diaper Genies. Gripping stuff! haha I once encountered a mom who freaked out when her kid wanted to order a blue drink at a restaurant. I mean just flipped out. She was the most overprotective, self righteous person and then we went over there for a play date and she had a card table in the living room filled with top shelf liquor all at toddler's eye level. I had to laugh. But then seriously I thought...um...I wonder how I can get her to give me some of that. It's gonna be a long afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great group of moms I hung out with when my son was little...we met in pre-natal class and got together once a week until the kids all started kindergarten...and thank god we were all on the same parenting page!

      Delete
  6. the meconium and the belly button on Kid #1 was SO gross. the twins spent 15 days in the NICU - no meconium and no belly button stubs - best 15 days ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The meconium was SO disgusting!! I could not believe that much goopy, sticky evil could come out of a baby lol

      High five to not having to deal with it with the twins!

      Delete
  7. I have a couple friends who got into the whole belly button conversation on a Girls' Night Out and I seriously almost hurled...but I laughed reading you describe it--so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember to objecting to the bellybutton conversation and they both laughed and told me "just wait until you have a baby because you'll be obsessed with your kid's bellybutton". And sadly they were right lol

      Delete
  8. It really does seem like a cult when you're on the outside, doesn't it? Once you drink the Kool-Aid, it changes a little bit. But only if you have good mom friends.

    I'm quite a bit younger than most of the OKP at their school, so that makes the interactions a bit awkward. Most of them are my parents age. I usually end up scaring them away with odd comments. (When I get uncomfortable, I get verbal diarrhea.)

    I kind of miss the days when strangers would give out unsolicited advice. I always came up with something completely outlandish to come back with.

    One time I told a lady that offered her opinion about me formula feeding that when her "brilliant little angel" wasn't hitting everyone and being a snot-nosed turd, that she could come back and tell me how to raise MY children, who were sharing and including everyone.
    She left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky I had some great mom friends. There was a group of us that met in prenatal class and we got together with the kids at least once a week pretty much from birth until they all started kindergarten...we were all first-time moms and none of us had a clue what the hell we were doing, so it was great to have other moms to compare notes with...and to make fun of uber-moms with lol

      Bwahahaha...hooray for awesome comebacks!!!

      Delete